Each full-time doctoral student is entitled to dormitory accommodation during
the standard period of study provided that he/she complies with the accommodation
rules of the Accommodation and Catering Administration.

Practical Information

Academic Year

The academic year is divided into two semesters. Each semesters contains thirteen weeks of lectures and up to a six-week examination period. The academic year begins by winter semester in September, usually in the last week. The summer semester begins in the middle of February. Summer holidays are in July and August.

Accommodation and Catering Services

The University has its own halls of residence, which offer services to full-time students. Accommodation with shared facilities could be reserved in a double room for the full academic semester independent of the student’s arrival date. Self-catering facilities are available on each floor of the dormitories. Each suite has a refrigerator. Upon your arrival, you will be asked to pay a CZK 4000 deposit that will be returned to you on the day of departure. You are advised to bring your own cutlery and plates; but you do NOT need to bring your own sets of bed linen.

For those wishing to make their own arrangements, accommodation can be found in private appartments. It is important to note that these rents are much higher and can vary considerably.

The University has two cafeterias, one in the centre of the city and one in the University campus at Bory. They serve warm dishes at lunch time and dinner at reasonable price from Monday to Friday. At weekends the cafeterias are closed, however, there is a number of restaurants, pizzerias and cafés nearby. The price range from CZK 90 – 200 (i.e. Euro 3 – 7).

Living costs

The basic monetary unit of the Czech Republic is 1 Kč (i.e. Czech crown - CZK). Money exchange services are provided by banks and exchange offices. Credit cards are widely accepted in shops, supermarkets, hotels, restaurants and travel agencies.

The average living costs can be estimated to approx. 200 Euro/Month including accommodation and food. It always depends on each student possibilities.

Health Insurance

Prior to the entry into the Czech Republic, all international students MUST purchase their own personalized health insurance, covering the entire study period and valid in the Czech Republic.

General policies usually cover standard treatments. It is important to note that the standard insurance policies do not cover the following matters: dental care, transplantation of any sort, treatment of drug / alcohol dependence, treatment of AIDS, diabetes, dialysis and serious inherited diseases.

International students studying in the Czech Republic can arrange for a health insurance policy by the General Health Insurance company ( Vseobecna zdravotni pojistovna-VZP ), which covers all standard treatments. The costs of the health insurance varies according to the student‘s age and health condition. The student must pass a medical entrance examination before the health insurance policy can be arranged.

Applying for a visa

All international students (does NOT apply for citizens of EU) must apply for a long-term study visa or long-term stay for purpose of study, covering the entire study period (=academic year). This is NOT the equivalent of a short-term tourist visa! It is essential that students obtain a study visa prior to entry into the Czech Republic. International students and visitors are advised to contact the Czech Embassy in their home country in order to obtain the latest information regarding the visa application procedure.

It is advisable to apply for the long-term study visa well in advance of the intended arrival date, as the processing time takes approx. 2 months from the date of submitting the application form at the Czech Embassy in the home country. This form needs to be accompanied by the following documents (not older than 180 days):

  • letter confirming admission to study or study confirmation
  • letter confirming the accommodation or accommodation confirmation

Both of these documents are issued by the Czech host university.

  • proof of health insurance and financial coverage, passport, birth certificate and passport size photos

In addition, the Czech Embassy in the home country may request the proof of lack of a criminal record in the home and host countries.

Registration at the foreign police department is necessary if you are staying longer than one month. More detailed information can be obtained from the website of the Ministry of the Interior of the Czech Republic.

The police may repeatedly prolong the period of the visa validity by 365 days as a maximum without the necessity to leave the country.